Did you know?
- An estimated 19,540 new cases of breast cancer are expected to occur among African American women in 2009
- The overall incidence rate of breast cancer is 10% lower in African American women than white women.
- African American women have a five year survival rate of 77% after diagnosis as compared to 90% for white women.
- The breast cancer mortality rate for African American women is 36% higher than white women
- Breast cancer incidence rate among younger African American (under 40) is higher than white women.
- Research shows that aggressive tumor characteristics are more common in African American women than white women.
- Breast cancer is the second most common cause of cancer death among African American women.
Source: American Cancer Society, Cancer Facts & Figures for African American 2009-2010